What is the procedure for Non-EU-students before entering Austria?
All those interested in studying in Austria for less than 6 months need to apply for a visa at an Austrian consulate or embassy before coming to Austria.
- A travel visa C ("Schengenvisa"): entitles you to stay in Austria and in all other Schengen countries for a maximum of 90 days; it is not necessary if you are allowed to enter Austria without a visa
- A residence visa D (Aufenthaltsvisum D): for stays of at least 91 days up to a maximum of 6 months; not necessary if you are a Japanese national
If you are intending to stay for more than 6 months it is possible to apply for a residence permit for students within Austria (after lawful entry). Please contact the competent Austrian representative authority (embassy, consulate) for further information.
- A residence permit for students ("Aufenthaltsbewilligung - Student") entitles you to stays for more than 6 months (and up to 12 months). It may be extended within Austria.
To find out more about the visa process, please check theOeAD website for detailed information.
Within 3 working days of arrival in Austria, you have to register with the registration office (Meldeamt) at you place of residence.
What is the situation if I am an EU citizen?
If you are a national of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, you need no visa to come to Austria. If you have sufficient financial means to finance your stay in Austria and valid health insurance covering all the necessary costs, you only need a valid travel document (passport or identity card) for entry to and residence in Austria. If you are going to stay in Austria for more than 3 months you have to register with the competent municipal authority (Magistrat, Bezirkshauptmannschaft) within 4 months of your stay. More information can be found here.
Where can I apply for a visa/student residence permit?
- Visas can only be applied for at the competent Austrian representative authority (embassy, consulate-general) before travelling to Austria; this authority will also issue the visa. A visa (for example, the residence visa D) cannot be renewed in Austria!
- You can either apply for a residence permit for students at the competent Austrian representative authority in your country of residence or at the competent residence authority within Austria after lawful entry and during lawful residence. For further details please enquire directly at the competent Austrian representative authority.
What are the requirements for a visa/residence permit?
You can find all detailed information on the OeAD website. Please read the information thoroughly! The website and the guides provide checklists for the application for Visa or Residence Permits; you can also find all necessary links to application forms, explanation of the application forms in English and contact details of universities and Austrian authorities. Make sure that your application is complete; if the Austrian authority needs to get back to you for further information, the application process might be delayed.
When should I start the application process for a residence permit for students? How long does it take to receive confirmation?
The general processing period for a Residence Permit for students is 90 days. Please note that you may have to start preparations early due to possible required legalization and translation of your documents.
What are the financial requirements for a visa?
You have to prove sufficient financial means to finance your stay: students up to 24 years of age have to prove that they have at least 502,24 Euros per month ; students of 24 years of age or older have to prove that they have at least 909,42 Euros per month [as of 2018] – these amounts have to be proved for a maximum of 12 months – e.g. by means of a savings account or a bank account (the account has to be accessible from Austria); a Declaration of Guarantee from a person living in Austria; proof of purchase of traveller’s cheques for the necessary amount; or a confirmation of the award of a scholarship/grant. If the costs for accommodation exceed 288,87 euros/month, you will have to prove additional funds.
What is valid proof of personal income to finance my stay in Austria that I can show the embassy?
This proof of financial means can be provided in different ways, for example, a savings book or deposits in a bank (the account has to be accessible from Austria), proof of purchase of traveller’s cheques, or a letter of guarantee from a person living in Austria or an institution domiciled in Austria. You may have to provide proof of the origin of your fundings.
Can I renew my residence permit?
Only residence titles (residence permits – Aufenthaltsbewilligung) and settlement permits (Niederlassungsbewilligung) can be renewed in Austria. You have to apply for a renewal before expiry of the original permit. Until a decision about the renewal has been taken you may – even after expiry of your original permit – stay in Austria. To find out more about the admission process, please check the information on the OeAD website.
Does the OeAD help in processing applications?
lease note that the OeAD cannot help you in processing your application. We cannot enquire or intervene on your behalf with the Austrian authorities. We only inform about entry requirements and procedures. If you have general questions concerning the application process, you may contact the OeAD (firstname.lastname@example.org).