Double decker © OeAD/Bisail

To enter Austria for study purposes, one might need a visa and/or a residence permit. Please note that the detailed requirements for a visa and/or a residence permit depend on your nationality. Therefore it is very important that you always check with the appropriate authorities in Austria and/or in your home country as to which rules and procedures concern you based on your particular situation.

  • EU/EEA nationals need neither a visa nor a residence title. They, however, have to register with the authority in charge of residence within three months of entering Austria.
  • Nationals of other countries need a visa C (for stays for a maximum of 90 days) or a visa D (for stays of at least 91 days up to a maximum of 6 months) or a residence permit for study puroposes (for stays longer than six months).

Exception: Applicants who are allowed to enter Austria without a visa (information about this is available from the Austrian embassies) may apply for and receive the residence permit from the residence authority once they are in Austria.

Important notice: A visa cannot be renewed in Austria.

Start preparations early

We recommend that you start the visa process early (about three months before you plan to enter Austria), as it may take some time for you to collect all the relevant documents.

Further information: www.oead.at/entry