Illustration Schreibtisch © OeAD/Bisail


In Austria it is compulsory to register with the municipal authorities (Meldeamt: Gemeindeamt, Magistratisches Bezirksamt) within three working days of entering the country. For this you need a registration form (Meldezettel, available from the registration offices or from the Internet), which must be completed by you and signed by your landlord / landlady (in youth hostels and hotels this registration is carried out by the management when you check in). A change of address also has to be reported to the registration office within 3 working days. Please do not forget to inform the registration office when you leave Austria.

Attention: Nationals of EU/EEA countries and Swiss nationals have to additionally apply for a confirmation of registration (Anmeldebescheinigung) if they stay in Austria for more than 3 months.

Health Insurance for Students

You need to make sure that you are properly insured during your stay. Students admitted to an Austrian university or UAS degree programme as regular degree programme students may take out comprehensive health insurance with one of the local public carriers (Österreichische Gebietskrankenkasse). This insurance is only available to Austrians and foreigners who have established legal residence in Austria (and fulfil several requirements regarding duration of studies, change of study programmes, income, and study programmes already completed). Forms to apply for this insurance coverage are available at the respective Gebietskrankenkasse branch offices and the Austrian Student Union (ÖH – Österreichische Hochschülerschaft).

Students from EU/EEA countries, who are in possession of valid health insurance in their home country, need the European Health Insurance Card. Alternatively, students can also take out private health insurance corresponding to the standard of the Austrian local public carriers.

For further information click here or visit our database "Entry and Residence for Students and Researchers".